We've been prototyping Arabic stamps using the laser cutter at the Fablab.
Maria provided the designs for the Arabic letters, then we got going experimenting with the laser cutter.
It took us a while to try and cut through the rubber. Finally, we had to conclude that we could not, ie. not all the way, so we used engraving settings, running it several times to get a deeper engraving. Settings that we've used can be found on the Fablab wiki. See some of our pics of our trials (and errors: make sure to mirror the digital image! ;-) ) .. we've produced some beauties. Using the prototypes we've made you can combine the Arabic stamps to make beautiful geometric patterns.