Nostalgia and Chaos
a search for beauty in times of social struggle
Argentina: a tourist paradise? Buenos Aires, the city of tango and meat, and repressive police, a 24 hour city that never sleeps. From the underworld to popular heroes...
Nostalgia and Chaos was an installation that showed different aspects of contemporary Argentinean cultural production.
It was also part of Mediamatic's Gastarbeider dating series.
Since the 2002 economical crisis, the enormous decay of the Argentinean middle class and perverted enrichment of the upper class have increased in a painful way. Making the borders which divided the poor and the rich darker than ever.
Hundreds of families survive with the money they get in exchange of the cardboard they collect on the streets. They are called “ cartoneros”.
Cardboard as elements transformed into an economical value is the starting point of this installation.
Nostalgia and chaos are two of the strongest elements of the Argentina of this artist that has left her country, and tries to bring together pieces from the other side of the world...
What is going on inside the cardboard box?
Wed-Sun 4-8 p.m
Library designed by Paula Falasca. "A broken time line" (in the library you can find different Argentinean authors and books about Argentinean culture).
Wednesday 6 Feb.
- 6 pm. Documentary about the 84 years old Argentinean artist, Leon Ferrari. By: Pablo Padula.
Thursday 7 Feb.
-4 to 7 pm. Debate on post colonial art. With special guests: Tiong Ang, Rini Hurkmans and Mayura Subhedar.
Friday 8 Feb.
- 6 pm. Cooking workshop (you can learn a typical Argentinean meal, eat all together and drink some good Argentinean wine.
- 8.30 pm. Performance "Vaarwel Amsterdam" a poem by Vicente Zito Lema, performed by Lidewij Mahler and Aimee Zito Lema.
-9.30 pm. Argentinean tango: Claudio Constantini (bandoneon) and Suvi Myöhänen (violin)
Saturday 9 Feb.
- 5 pm. A lecture about the Holandaman by Matthijs de Bruijne.
(The Holandamanes are well-educated Dutch Moslems who live in Argentina.)
- 7 pm. Performance, "Vaarwel Amsterdam"
Sunday 10 Feb.
- 6 pm. film screening: "Memorias del Saqueo"(2004) a documentary by Pino Solanas.
A film that shows how Argentina in the last 30 years was victim of different devastating governments, the consequences of the economical crisis, and a growing poor social classes, in a country that was once very rich.