STEIM was in danger. In our opinion the disappearance of STEIM would be a disaster. In support of STEIM, Mediamatic and DNK-Amsterdam organized some tailgate parties on May 30 and June 6 of 2008 on the PostCS parking lot. Both parties started at 21:00 with performances stemming from STEIM grounds. After the performances STEIM-supportive-DNK-DJs took over and facilitated dancing.
With TokTek, DJ Sniff (NL/JP) + Fedde ten Berge (NL), OneManNation (SG/NL) + Richard Scott (UK), DNK-Friday DJ Unit (The Real Master Fader, Mr Fooo, The Snail, guest DJ Minty Fluttershy) and The paradigm of Intuitive Science, a Kirlian performance by Melanie Bonajo (NL) and Kinga Kielczynska (PL).
What was the problem with STEIM? Both the Amsterdam Kunstraad as the Raad voor Cultuur had advised to discontinue structural finance for STEIM. That meant that the financial foundation needed to be entirely rebuilt. As far as we are concerned, STEIM is an important part of the basic cultural infrastructure. STEIM fulfills a necessary LAB function in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and the rest of the world.
- Tom Verbruggen alias TokTek makes spectacular compositions with joysticks, laptops and many self made instruments. He will take you to a world where images have no meaning.
- DJ Sniff (Takuro Mizuto Lippit) is one of the best turntablists in the world. To him the turntable is the ultimate autonomous instrument. Seeing and hearing him will acutely make you a Sniff-fan for life.
- One Man Nation brings forth his own brand of music, visuals and performance art as the various disciplines amalgamate smoothly into the musical flow of improvises beats and samples to create his desolate soundtrack. Controlling his computer via various hardware controllers, you are promised a very physical and present performance.
- The DNK-Friday DJ Unit plays the best music from any genre; by means of cheesy weirdness, cold The Hague electro, drone metal, abstract electronic music and extremely danceable retro they bring you to a musical climax that keeps everyone dancing all night.
- Kirlian is a technique to make photograms with a high voltage, which results in a photo with an aura. Melanie Bonajo and Kinga Kielczynska will use the Kirlian technique for a spiritual audio performance.
Location: Mediamatic, Post CS building, ground floor, Amsterdam