How the install the oyster shelves and oysters
What do you need?
- Tape: 3M VHB Tape 4930F 33mtr. x 12mm, white, 0,6 mm thick
- Primer: 3M 94 Primer voor VHB Tape
- VHB cleaner- paper towels
- water level or any other tool that helps you to level the shelves
- cutting board
- a pen
- scotch tape
Step 1: Tape on Oyster shelves
The tape gets rolled onto the shelf to avoid air bubbles in between the shelf and the tape
1) Clean the surface of the shelf with the cleaner (don't be too economical, use a lot) and dry it carefully with a paper towel
2) Don't expose it too long to the outside, get the tape on there as soon as possbile.
This works best when you are two persons. Person A holds the shelf, while Person B rolls it (with the help of the pen) slowly and accuratley onto the shelf.
3) Put pressure on it and try to even out possible air bubbles.
4) cut off the tape that is too much
Step 2: Oyster shelves on window
1) decide for a spot on where to put the shelf
2) clean the spot with a lot of VHB cleaner, dry it again carefully with a paper towel
3) apply the Primer with the help of the brush, very thin
4) let it dry for 5 min
5) with the help of a level, put the shelf to the spot. Try to apply it slowly from down to up to avoid having air bubbles
6) put your whole body weight agains the shelv so it really sticks
7) fix the shelf with scotch tape to the window (fold the ends of the scotch tape, so it's easier to remove it afterwards)
The tape needs 72h to fully stick to the window. Only after that weight (oysters) can be put on them!
- the less air, dust, fat is on the tape, shelf or window the better it sticks. So clean thoroughly with the VHB cleaner and avoid touching the surface after it or exposing it too long to the outside
- the tape sticks best in a warm climate (ca 20 degrees) - Seek for a warm spot to put the tape on the shelves
- always wear gloves to avoid humidity or grease from your fingers to weaken the tape's strength. Same goes for your face - donät breath to close.
- when using the primer, be aware of a good ventialtion of the place, don't breathe it in, stay away as far as possible and always close the lit after using it
- avoid air bubbles in between the tape and the window or shelf and if you see them, try to get rid of them
- the idea of the pattern of the installation is rather random, so try to have a variation of size and colour