What we will cover:
- A brief history and chemistry of soap making
- The basic method of how soap is made
- How to formulate your own recipes
- Technicalities of transforming oil into soap
- How to use a lye calculator
- Safety aspects of working with sodium hydroxide
- Insider knowledge on the best oils and ingredients
- More knowledge on natural colors, fragrance/essential oils
- How to add nutrient oils or additives like clay, for various skin conditions
- How to use moulds, tools and other equipment
- How to cut, cure and store your finished soap
The workshop is for a small group of 8 participants with no previous experience necessary.
We will provide all the ingredients and equipment needed, including a simple mould and safety gear!
There will be a handout for you to take home after the workshop.
Note: Please dress for mess with long sleeves and bring an apron if you have one.
At the end of the workshop you will have a piece of 1kg of soap that you can pick up after 48 hours.
Liza Witte works on the intersection of Art and cosmetics. Being a product designer by profession, she now focuses solely on olfactory design, soaps and body oil. She has extensive experience with cooking natural soaps and uses only natural products. With her Silhouette Collection, she designed a series of perfume bottles, that are both interior fragrances, but can be used as soaps as well. For the Hoxton Hotel in Amsterdam she designed a line of shampoo, body milk and -of course- soap.
Workshop: Make Your Own Natural Soap!
Sunday 14th of July, 13:00 - 19:00
Tickets: Regular: €145,- | Students / Artists: €98,- (including €1,- administration costs)
Attendance limited to 8 people
Mediamatic Biotoop, Dijksgracht 6, Amsterdam