Tumulus is an enclosed garden installation that functions as a natural ruin, compost heap, cement & soil sculpture, seed bed, earth work, lo-tech fountain, drinking/ dyeing source, and dunghill. Over the course of 16 months from June 2019 to September 2020, artist Ruchama Noorda will transform the patch of greenery next to our Sluisdeurenloods into a living sculpture and performance site.
The weed-woad restoration project will happen in 5 parts:
1. Vegetative State (June - mid July)
2. Growth Imperative (mid July - October, with a dedication ceremony on September
3. Dormant Lot (November - February)
4. Healing Property (March - August)
5. Blue Monday (Closing ceremony/celebration of autumnal equinox, September 21st, 2020)
On September 13th 2019, the artist, assisted by male witches, Vis and Walthert will perform a dedication ceremony inaugurating Phase 2 of the project. Visitors will be offered an absinth made from weeds harvested from the Tumulus installation as well as a brewed nettle beverage.