Background: The aim of the Hortus project is to map all the plants that are growing around Dijkspark and to inform people about their properties. The project has an analogue and a digital part. The analogue part means plant signs that we will stick into the grow beds next to the plants. They show an illustration of the plant, the name of the plant and the properties of the plant in the form of icons. The digital part means the Hortus website. There, people can get more information about specific plants and their properties. On top of that, the meaning of the different icons is explained, as you can see HERE.
The Plant Signs
Old vs. New Signs
When I started working on the Hortus project, there had just new signs been ordered because the plant property icons on the previous signs were too small. This means, the plant signs with bigger icons are the ones we are using now. If you come across a sign with small icons, you can pull it off the stick and throw it away.
The Rust Problem
In order to add the signs to the grow beds, they need to be attached to sticks. The signs that had been in the grow beds before, where just glued onto a metal stick. Unfortunately over time, rust started to grow in the gap between the plant sign and the stick. As a result, the signs lost the connection to the sicks and fell off easily. Therefore, we needed to find a way to seal the sides where the stick is attached. The first idea to avoid this problem, was to coat the signs. This would also make them more durable in general. We did several tests with different coatings. HERE you can have a look into what has been done so far and where we are now.
Signs on Sticks
In the closet in the project room you can find two different kinds of sticks: rusty ones and non rusty ones. We decided to reuse the rusty ones. On the surface where the glue will be applied, the rust can be removed by sanding it. On THIS SITE you can see how the signs were produced up until now.
Magnetic Signs for Aquaponics
We want to use the same kind of signs that we are using in the grow beds to identify the plants growing in the aquaponics green house. Instead of using a stick and putting them into the soil, we will attach them with magnets onto the aquaponics steel 'sceleton'. A test has already been done and you can find the result in the project room.
These are the next steps that need to be done:
- Talking to the people that are working in the Aquaponics and asking them where the signs should hang. -> We don't want them to be in the way of their work.
- Making a stencil out of cardboard. (like the one for the sticks) This will make it easier to hold the magnets in place when gluing them. (Important: Make sure that all the surfaces are fat-free before gluing)
- Finding out more about the different poles of the magnets. (Think about what would happen when you store them all together in a box)
- The magnetic signs also need to be coated with epoxy
Order new signs
If you need to create or order new signs, you can find all the information you need HERE.
The Hortus Website
On the Hortus page on the website, every plant has an own site. This site contains a picture of the plant in real life and the matching plant sign. In the text, there is either further information about the plant, or a link to an external website. During my internship I double-checked, that all the plant-sites have the right titles, sub-titles and images. The title should always be the english name of the plant and the subtitle the latin name. To keep track of everything, we are working with an overview excel sheet that you can find HERE. When I went through them, some of the sites didn't mach the plants they should show. I marked them in the excel sheet with a question mark.
You can find a specific plant on the website, if you type in the URL: https://www.mediamatic.net/plant001 (-> you can change the number of the plant according to the overview excel sheet)
If you need to replace any plant-pictures, you can find all the files on the Mediamatic-Server under: Kantoor > 0-Stichting > 0-Graphic Design > 35 - Plant Signs > PLANTS > FinalVersion
You already know the texts that I have written about the different plant properties, since you have translated them into dutch. We haven't decided yet, if or how we are going to show the sources where I found the information on the website. In case you need them, you can find them in THIS document.
- When the restaurant reopens again, it might happen that oysters are disappearing. Check every once in a while if every shelve has an oyster and if you find an empty one, place a new one there. You can find all the spare ones we have ...
- If you see that a shelf has fallen off or got broken, HERE you can find all the information you need to reattach it or to add a new one.
- If the shelves need to be cleaned, you can find all the information in the same knowledge page from above.
- About every ... the scents need to be added. You only need to add a few drops.
- Smell the coffee beans every once in a while and replace them if the smell has faded.
- About ... the vases need to be rinsed and the cat litter has to be replaced.
- HERE you can find all the information you need for these tasks.
Round Table Room
- If you need to hang new light tracks, HERE is how it works.
The Häckel Hunt
You can find all the locations of the signs on THIS map.