Sebastian Kaye (UK)

Fresh improvements to panel growing

After reviewing our previous panel experiments' highs and lows, we've started 4 new panels with some (hopefully) positive changes to our procedure.


Inoculation - We mix the Spawn with the Substrate before putting it on the panel Marieke Broertjes

We've made 4 new panels, along with some changes to our growing approach.

Some of the lows from previous experiments:
Panels drying out, during incubation.
Panels were showing primordiums - ''Baby Mushroom¨ growth, a stress response to light and drop in temperature.


Primordium - Primordium sprouting from a schizophyllum & Husk Panel. The shock of light or temperature drop brings this on. Sebastian Kaye (UK)

Positive changes we have made:
We suspect the drying out was due to too much air around the panel (inside).

Our solution
The new panels are completely jam packed with substrate and Jute sack, and tightly wrapped to the top.


Panel#5 - Wraping the panel covering the panel with plastic wrap for a successful growth Marieke Broertjes

This was only possible after angle grinding off the metal rims that curled inside (thank you Sim). Now the substrate is flush to the rim, with minimal air space. Small cuts were made on the top, now covered with 'filter tape'.

New Filtertape - the plasticwrap gets sliced and than covered with filtertape. The plasticwrap gets sliced and then covered with filtertape. Breathable. Minimises on infection. Melissa (DE)

So goodbye cotton wool clouds! Lets see how well they retain moisture now. Also no more injecting the panels with water. This eliminates chance of infection.
To minimise primordiums sprouting while growing the mycelium, we have improved the incubator by blocking out most light.

First new panel (#5): 4th May 2015


Panel 4 .May - Growth stage after 3 days. Melissa (DE)

The substrate (Husks 600g) and Jute sacks, after being sewn with rope, were pasteurized by immersion in water, for 1 hour at 100c.
The pasteurized husk substrate and Jute sacks, were left to cool down. After which, were inoculated with Schizophyllum on Rye Grain spawn (60g). 10 percent of the 600g substrate. To finish, the panel was tightly wrapped, and given 'breath holes' using the filter tape. Moved to dark incubator at 30c.

Spawn Making


Millet+Vermiculum - trying a new grain Melissa (DE)

We may start using Millet instead of Rye grain for spawn making. Both the millet and the rye grain spawn we make here, are still sterilized, because the rye contains nutrients and starch which will still attract other organisms if not sterilized. Where as the Husk substrate we can now pasteurize instead, saving energy!

Pasteurization & tea bagging


Pasteurising - We are pasteurising the Substrate and the Jurte together for 1h. Melissa (DE)

When pasteurizing our husk substrate, it needs to be well drained, and cooled before we can inoculate it. So we tried filling a pillow case with husks and a single ladies tight.

Teabag test - trying new technics with 2 different materials. To see if it is easier to handle the substrate than. Trying new methods with 2 different materials. To see if it is easier to remove and drain the substrate post pasteurisation. Left: Pillow case filled with Husks. Right: Tight with Husks. Simeon Henry Goodwin


Teabag test 1 - Nylontights Nylon Teabag test. We put the substrate into a Nylontights to see if it is easy to handle that way. Simeon Goodwin

The tight worked a treat! very easy to remove from the water, and even easier to rinse, dry and cool. The Pillowcase didn't work because it retained a lot of water.

Emptying Pillowcase - We test various technics to handle the substrate Trying various techniques to handle the substrate after Pasteurisation Simeon Goodwin

New Panels, 2,3 & 4: 11th May 2015


Pouring substrate to panel 5 - Substrate on Panel scattering inoculated substrate on panel Marieke Broertjes

The same preparation and method was used for pasteurization of husk substrate, and jute sacks. Cool down. Inoculate. Wrap, and make filter holes with filter tape. Store in Incubator at 30c.

With these panels we tried different Stretching methods, by sewing the rope in different ways.

Panel 2: 100g Yellow Oyster on rye grain, onto 500g pasteurized husk substrate.

Panel 3: 70g King Oyster on rye grain, onto 600g pasteurized husk substrate.

Panel 4: 56g SPOPO Grey Oyster on millet, onto 600g pasteurized husk substrate.

Let the growing Commence!