- An internship at Mediamatic is 100 working days. This means that full time, 5 days a week, the internship will take about 20 weeks or 5 months. Doing 4 days a week is also possible but the total duration of the internship will be extended since you will have to fulfill the 100 working days.
- When you’re doing an internship you will spend about 25% of your time doing other tasks for the organisation.
As an organization we think DIY is very important. You can see this in our program: we always try to combine our researches and artworks with workshops where the public can learn how to make, create, design and research on their own. This is also the reason that our website is so extensive: we are completely open source and share all our knowledge, successes and failures with our public.
This philosophy is part of our program, but also of our organization. As an intern, you will also notice that part of your internship is also taking care of our building and space, helping others with their projects and preparing spaces and technical installations for our program. We try to do as much as possible by ourselves, management and interns together, to get an understanding of all the different skills needed to run an art space. Examples of this are the communal gardening weekly on Tuesday afternoon, and every Friday afternoon we work together to clean and take care of our building.
- At Mediamatic we expect a hands-on mentality.
- We offer internship remuneration of €400,— gross per month at a 5 days a week commitment, at 4 days a week this becomes €320,— gross per month. Payments happen around the 22nd of the month and is based on the worked days from the 1st day of the month till the last day of the month.
- It's important to get a BSN (Dutch social security number) as soon as possible because without we can't pay your internship compensation.
- It's only possible to combine a school project with your internship if it has added value for Mediamatic. This has to be agreed upon beforehand with Mediamatic.
- During the internship you get free acces to workshops (if there are spots available) and other events.
- We always offer various internship, when applying please mention for which period you would be interested in doing the internship.
- When applying please provide us with a cover letter and resume ind PDF format, and if applicable a portfolio (online or PDF).
- We expect a certain degree of independence and work ethic.
- Working days (Monday through Friday) start at 09:30 AM and end at 18:00, including a 30 minute afternoon break.
- As an intern you’re expected to assist with events and workshops in the evening and on the weekends when needed.
- Any over hours that are made by for example by assisting or producing events, can be taken up.
- It is possible to take up vacation days, these will be added to the duration of your internship.
- Mediamatic does not provide VISA services or work permits.
- Not everything we do will be in English. Since we are based in Amsterdam parts of our communication and projects will be in Dutch.
- There are no stupid questions, if you're unsure about something please ask your colleagues/mentor.