'Intimacy White' (2009), the first dress in the series, is made out of smart foil that becomes transparent when electrified. The distance of a spectator to the dress determines the level of transparency. This first dress received a lot of media attention and is considered highly successful. V2_Lab and Daan Roosegaarde now intend to make a series of 'Intimacy' dresses, each playing with a different material to create a sensual play of shared control.
1. 'Intimacy Lotus' is a new heat-sensitive material by Studio Roosegaarde, responding and physically moving to the subtlest amount of warmth. We invite one designer to create a new interactive dress with the Lotus foil.
2. 'Intimacy Black' is the dark sister of 'Intimacy White'. We invite one designer to create accessories with the black foil that become transparent when electrified.
Daan Roosegaarde says: ‘Technology is used here not merely functional but also as a tool to create intimacy as well as privacy on a direct, personal level ... which in our contemporary tech society is becoming increasingly important.’
In order to take this step from one dress to a series of fashion items, V2_Lab and Daan Roosegaarde are looking for:
• Recently graduated or senior year fashion designers (M/F);
• He or she must be able to participate in thought process along the lines set out by V2_Lab and Studio Roosegaarde in the preliminary stages and therefore must be a good team player;
• He or she must be ambitious and determined to achieve our request for success;
• The project starts on 1 May 2010. It is a full-time position for a period of 8 weeks.
What we offer:
• Access to functioning new technology, an existing prototype and an artist' Impression of the intended final product;
• A workplace at V2_Lab;
• The opportunity to collaborate with an experienced, interdisciplinary team;
• Technical support and backup;
• Exhibition of the end result;
• Name credit.
Please send your resume/portfolio and motivation before 15 April, preferably by email, to firstname.lastname@example.org
V2_Institute for the Unstable Media
Attn. Piem Wirtz
3012 XL Rotterdam
Eligible designers will be invited for an interview end of April.