As the mushroom prefers wet places and moldy substrate we should more regularly empty and clean the box and by time replace the wooden box with a metal/plastic box.
Contaminous mushroom in the coffee grounds box
Try not to breathe in its spores and if you touched it, wash your hands thoroughly
We are having a mushroomy housemate that appearantly likes to live in in our box for coffee grounds. The mushroom is a subspecies of neurospora - neurospora crassa, a red bread mold. It can normally be found on rotting organic waste or (obviously) old bread. It is highly contaminous as it for example, in contrast to other mold species, survives really high temperatures.Try not to breathe in its spores and if you touched it, wash your hands thoroughly.
Especially when you are heading to the Clean Lab afterwards!
Regularly emptying the box helps ;-)