The Aroma Lab is a workstation where scent distillation is put into practice. We play with a variety of raw materials to extract weird and wonderful scents and try to learn more about olfaction every day.
In sum, we investigate and stimulate the cultural and artistic potential of olfaction with small scale extractions and with events. Mediamatic's program Odorama invites key figures in the olfactory arts to explore scent from many perspectives. In the past, Aroma lab interns have helped organise Odorama's on the smell of leather, of holiness and even of sex! Every few weeks Mediamatic also offers workshops for those interested in smell and distillation.
Aside from assisting in the organisation of these events, there will be plenty of time spent in the distillation lab. In our own well equipped lab, you can research the optimal way of using solvents with materials to create a specific compound. Of course, you are welcome to propose and execute your own projects in the lab.
- Contributions to productional / organisational implementation of the project
- Direct involvement in the research and developments around scents and technology
- Thinking about and researching the best materials and techniques for projects
- Optimizing distillation methods in the lab
- Keeping in contact with artists and workshop leaders
- Assisting scent related events (Odorama)
- The student writes and speaks fluent English (and possibly Dutch)
- Special interest in (chemical) olfaction and technical feasibility of olfactory ideas
- Experience and/or affinity with scents
- Has good communication skills
- Works well independently with a hands-on mentality
- Knows his/her way around the internet, preferably handy with Apple
- HBO / WO level of thinking and not afraid to take responsibility
What do we offer?
- An inspiring work environment in the centre of Amsterdam
- A broad national and international network in the arts, culture, olfaction and bio-design
- A placement fee of € 250 per month, with a full-time internship (100 working days for 4/5 days a week)
- Discounts on workshops, dinners, lectures and food (Mediamatic ETEN).
Send a short letter with resume in PDF format to: email@example.com stating “internship aroma lab”. Please also mention the preferred start date of your internship. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.