Tumulus is a cyclical weed-woad restoration project in 5 parts:
1. Vegetative State (June - mid-July)
2. Growth Imperative (mid-July - October, with a dedication ceremony on September 13, 2019)
3. Dormant Lot (November - February)
4. Healing Property (March - August)
5. Blue Monday (Closing ceremony/celebration of the autumnal equinox, September 21st, 2020)
On September 21st, 2020 (Autumnal Equinox/Blue Monday) Noorda will perform a closing ceremony using extracts from the planted woad. Woad has been used in traditional Chinese medicine as a cure for the common cold and liver complaints as well as ancient Western and Southern European tribal cultures as a clothing dye and war paint (Gaulish: glastium; Latin: Isatis tinctoria). According to Classical legend, the Picts, a confederation of Northern British Celtic language speaking people, went into battle against the Romans naked, “dressed in woad ”.
Tumulus by Ruchama Noorda
Mediamatic Biotoop, Dijkspark 6, Amsterdam
The installation is located at the front of the Sluisdeurenloods.